SJ on the Move

Tuesday, June 05, 2007

So, what would that be, exactly?

Nothing says summer to me like the joy of a Dunkin' Donuts Mocha Coolatta. There's something about the cool refreshment of blended ice, the rich elixirs from the beans of both coffee and cacao, the burst of caffeine to awaken the senses, and finally, to top it off, the rich indulgence of whipped cream.

Of course, actually getting whipped cream on your Coolatta is a bit hit and miss. The employees at D 'n D don't strike me as the kind of "baristas" you see at Starbucks that can handle an order of "Vente Half-Caf Mocha Latte with Skim Milk to Go" without missing a beat. So, I usually try and take my order a step at a time. I don't like to confuse them right off the bat by making things too complicated. I just tell them I want a Medium (size), Mocha (flavor), Coolatta (product). Three variables shouldn't be too much trouble.

Occasionally, I've thrown in the "with whipped cream" in the initial order. However, half the time they forget anyway - so I've stopped bothering. Unfortunately, most of the time they don't ask you if you want whipped cream. Why that is, I have no idea. Who wouldn't want whipped cream? So, you have to precisely watch the assembly of the Coolatta and strategically interject "With whipped cream, please" at the appropriate moment.

As further evidence that one must tread with caution in making your order too complicated at Dunkin Donuts, I was coming back from Chicago today and stopped to top off at DD with my favorite beverage. After asking for a "Mocha Coolatta" (I didn't even include the size this time, to make it simple), I was then asked "Hot or Cold?". I was quite tempted to see what a "hot" Coolatta would be, but in the end I decided to stick with the traditional "cold" iced beverage.

1 Comments:

At 10:11 AM, Blogger Kansas Mom said...

While I love the whipped cream, I always ask for no whip because those are the calories I'll miss the least. Of course, at Starbucks, they put the whipped cream on unless you specifically ask for no whip.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home